Divorce is often a difficult and emotional journey for many people. Amid the chaos and stress, make sure that you avoid common pitfalls and mistakes that can hurt your interests. Working with a skilled divorce lawyer can help put you on the right path and face the process with confidence and dignity.
Avoid making these common divorce mistakes:
- Making children choose sides: Divorce is often hard on children regardless of age, so forcing them to choose sides can put additional stress on them. Make it as easy as possible for your children by showing them love, cooperating with your spouse, and presenting a united front.
- Posting recklessly on social media: It is becoming more common these days for social media posts and pictures to be used as evidence in court. For example, if you share pictures of you out partying and drinking, this can be used as evidence of you being an irresponsible parent. Always think twice about what you post on social media – or better yet – stay off the grid until your divorce is over.
- Hiding or lying about assets: If you attempt to hide or conceal assets during your divorce, this can land you in trouble with the court. You can ruin your credibility and be punished with an unfavorable divorce settlement.
- Rushing into a new relationship: Before you start a new relationship, think about how this will affect your children, how your ex will react, and how it can affect your divorce. If either you or your new girlfriend gets pregnant, or if you spend all your marital assets on your new dating partner, this can result in a less than ideal outcome for you.
- Not accounting for taxes: When you divide marital property, you must remember to pay taxes on the newly acquired assets. Consult a financial expert to help you understand the tax implications of your property settlement.
- Hiring the wrong lawyer: Choosing the right lawyer is important. If you want an amicable and friendly divorce, don’t hire the most aggressive attorney in town. Interview with several attorneys and ask about their approach to determine the right fit for you.
Providing Support & Guidance Throughout Your Divorce
At Swanson Law Center, P.A., our Gainesville divorce attorneys can provide essential support for clients going through a divorce. Our team understands the stress, emotions, and anxieties that come with the dissolution of a marriage. Let us personally walk you through your case and help ease the pain from your divorce.
Contact our team for a consultation.